The Bible teaches us that the little foxes destroy the vine…Solomon 2:15. As believers or followers of JESUS CHRIST, it is important that we don’t let the little foxes (habits, attitudes, old mindsets) destroy our relationship with our Savior. We must take the necessary precautions to ensure that those little foxes don’t become big foxes. While little foxes may be cute, their destruction can be fatal.
JESUS said, “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit: for apart from me ye can do nothing.” John 15:5
I found an interesting article at http://www.eastbelmontfwb.org/study/foxes.htmthat I’d like to share:
Little Foxes that Spoil the Vines:
Song of Solomon 2:15
Intro: In this section of scripture it is talking about the vineyards, and the need for watching out for the foxes. Not just the foxes but the little foxes that spoil the vine. For the vines have tender grapes on them. This is speaking of the fruit we have in our Christian lives. And how the little foxes can destroy the vine that yield fruit. They do this by gnawing and breaking the little branches and leaves, and the bark, by digging holes in the vineyards, and so spoiling the roots, by eating the grapes, and any other way to hinder the growth of the vine.
Let us look at some Little Foxes that spoil the vine.
1. Bitterness of Soul; Hebrews 12:15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;
A. bitterness starts out small like a root then becomes a tree
B. bitterness is like a small sore, if picked at enough will become a large wound
2. Bickering of the Saints; 1Peter 2:1 Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
A. bickering turns to arguing
B. arguing turns to separation
3. Boasting of Self; Proverbs 25:14 Whoso boasteth himself of a false gift is like clouds and wind without rain.
A. boasting is like clouds and wind without rain there is no substance
B. boasting is a little fox that breeds pride
4. Bridling not the Speech; James 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
A. this little fox has destroyed a lot of vines
B. don’t say what you think but think about what you are gong to say
5. Binding the Spirit; 1 Thessalonians 5:19 Quench not the Spirit.
A. each time you bind the spirit you yield yourself to sin
B. if you bind the spirit you will num to the things of God
6. Bargaining with Satan; Ephesians 4:27 Neither give place to the devil.
A. the little bit of giving ground to the Devil
B. sometimes we bargain with Satan and don’t even realize we have
7. Barring the Savior; Revelation 3:20Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
A. when we bind the spirit, and bargain with Satan, we are barring the Savior.
B. there are some places in our lives where we will not open up to Jesus and that little fox will keep us from growing and yielding fruit
Conclusion: It’s not always the big things in our lives that hinder us, but these little things (foxes) add up to make big problems in our walk with Christ. Are there some little foxes you need to take care of in your life?
So, let us consider if there are little foxes which are destroying the vine.